Skip to main content

The CBC catches fire, but here's one story they will never report

The CBC is on fire.

CBC-Television News broke from the pack this week, and it wasn't only its coverage of the Hillary Wilson-Cherisse Houle story.

The day of ignition was Monday, the day the Winnipeg Free Press reported that murder victim Hillary Wilson had known Cherisse Houle, a prostitute also found dead on the outskirts of Winnipeg one month earlier. (A reader has pointed out that CTV"s Stacey Ashley actually broke this detail on Sunday's 6 o'clock newscast - ed.)

From then on they did something exceptionally unusual in Winnipeg---they followed the story every single day, advancing it bit by bit throughout the week.

Sure, some of the scoops were bunk. The two dead girls both testified, reported CBC, at the trials of members of an Asian gang that traded crack for sex from as many as 20 young aboriginal girls.

It turned out the "gang" was six Vietnamese men in their mid-50's, half of whom were deported upon conviction.

And the "mysterious van" following girls from a rally at the Legislature turned out to be the overactive imagination of paranoid teenagers. But, still, it got us watching---every day.

And that's bad news for the other television newsrooms where reporters have to learn a whole new vocabulary, including the words "exclusive", "scoop", and "follow that story." This sort of competition hasn't been seen in decades.

And CBC has learned how to use their aboriginal journalists. Aboriginal "journalists" have been hired to fill quotas and to "reflect the face of the community." Actual reporting skill was a bonus, if it existed.

We know from personal experience; we engaged in a conversation with one of CBC's "aboriginal journalists" who told us he knew our Matthew Dumas story was true, but he wasn't going to do it because he felt the police were to blame. We wondered where he was when the inquest vindicated our scoop; probably finding his true calling as a mall security guard.

But this week we saw some true aboriginal journalism. Sheila North-Wilson used her access as an Indian to dig out stories. Good and bad, we still tuned in every day to see the latest. Now that's reporting.

And it wasn't just the aboriginal stories.

While the rest of the TV stations and newspapers sleepwalked past the drive-by shooting of a Simcoe Avenue apartment house, CBC went to the scene and turned up a barnburner of a story. Death threats spraypainted on the building. Residents terrified by the crack dealers opening selling drugs from their suites. An owner in B.C. who didn't care a whit. City officials who whimpered
"We've done everything we can. What else can we do?"

The next day it was a different story, and one we saw only on CBC. A pack of city inspectors descended on the apartment house, wrote up every infraction of every bylaw, and left with a message---
this place will be cleaned up or shut down, fast.

That's action. That's reporting. And that's why we're setting our dial to CBC television news to see what they've got first in the supperhour.

******
But here's one story you're never going to see on CBC or apparently anywhere in the Mainstream media in Winnipeg.

Not one MSM outlet picked up on the blockbuster news revealed last week by Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation on
http://www.taxpayer.com/taxpayer/news-archive?news_id=3561.

Craig had a sit-down with Patrick O'Reilly, the chief operating officer of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, and Susanne Robertson, the chief financial officer.

They told him this jawdropping information:

"…while the museum's cost overrun figure has publicly been reported at $45 million,
the CTF learned the original overrun figure sat at $58 million."

That's 58 MILLION DOLLARS, folks.

Before a shovelfull of imported dirt was turned, the CMHR was $58 million in the hole. (That's 35 percent over budget for anyone keeping score.)

We were stunned. But not as stunned, we're betting, as Gail Asper and Patrick O'Reilly were on Thursday, May 21, 2009, before anyone knew the budget was as much as a penny over.

That's the day The Black Rod reported that by our estimate the museum was at least $55 million in the red.

You can see now why Gail and Paddy went scurrying to the Winnipeg Free Press editorial offices the following Monday to, er, discuss the museum's budget.

Those stupid bloggers got it all wrong. Sure there's a small shortfall, $45 million, but it's already being taken care of and there's nothing to worry about. We have "asks" out and expect to rake in the dough any day now.

Yeah... We got it wrong.

WE UNDERESTIMATED the budget shortfall.

And why the difference between the actual budget overrun and the $45 million they admitted?

It seems they had been busy as beavers while the deficit was still a secret.

They chopped $13 million out of the budget "by modifying electrical and ventilation systems, reducing the protective coating on concrete floors and opting for less costly stone for its walls," according to the June 11 Macleans magazine. (What were they coating the floors with? Gold?….ed.)

O'Reilly said something similar to the Winnipeg Free Press the day he confessed to a budget overrun.

"Patrick O'Reilly, the museum's chief operating officer, said the museum's board, appointed by the federal government, has gone through the entire budget and has been able to trim about $12 million from construction costs. He said most of the cuts -- which the public won't notice -- are for interior building materials, changes to floor supports and redesigning the air-conditioning and heating system."

But, like you, we never guessed the $12-13 million was on top of the $45 million. We assumed he meant that over the course of planning there had been snips and trims which had prevented the budget shortfall from being even bigger than $45 million.

It shows you how naïve we were.

They claim they've raised $2 million of the $45 million shortfall already, although they won't say how or where they got the money.

But the cheerleading Free Press, which hasn't reported the true deficit of $58 million, was all giggly Sunday about Gail Asper's new fundraising schemes.

The days of batting her eyes at fawning boards of directors of major corporations are long over. Now it's begging for spare change from the little guy, just like the rest of the panhandlers.

A mass grape-stomping at a Corydon Avenue restaurant, and pie-throwing at the University of Manitoba are among her brainstorms.

But it's watching her take money from a teenaged go-cart racer and kids in Junior Achievement that turns our stomachs.

A multi-millionaire is getting children to raise money for her pet project which will then send her on free trips around the world to, uh, see other museums.

It makes you want to puke.

****
Correction: We've been informed that the Canadian Museum for Human Rights is subject to federal Access to Information requests. It's the material of the museum, which is exempt by an amendment to the law.

Popular posts from this blog

The unreported bombshell conspiracy evidence in the Trudeau/SNC-Lavelin scandal

Wow. No, double-wow. A game-changing bombshell lies buried in the supplementary evidence provided to the House of Commons Judiciary Committee by former Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould. It has gone virtually unreported since she submitted the material almost a week ago. As far as we can find, only one journalist-- Andrew Coyne, columnist for the National Post--- has even mentioned it and even then he badly missed what it meant, burying it in paragraph 10 of a 14 paragraph story. The gist of the greatest political scandal in modern Canadian history is well-known by now. It's bigger than Adscam, the revelation 15 years ago that prominent members of the Liberal Party of Canada and the party itself funneled tens of millions of dollars in kickbacks into their own pockets from federal spending in Quebec sponsoring ads promoting Canadian unity. That was just venal politicians and a crooked political party helping themselves to public money. The Trudeau-Snc-Lavalin scandal is

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. There, we said it.

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. Oh, you won't find anyone official to say it. Yet . Like relatives trying to appear cheery and optimistic around a loved one that's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, the people in power are in the first stage of grief -- denial. The prognosis for Hydro was delivered three weeks ago at hearings before the Public Utilities Board where the utility was seeking punishingly higher rates for customers in Manitoba. It took us this long to read through the hundred-plus pages of transcript, to decipher the coded language of the witnesses, to interpret what they were getting at, and, finally, to understand the terrible conclusion.  We couldn't believe it, just as, we're sure, you can't--- so we did it all again, to get a second opinion, so to speak.  Hydro conceded to the PUB that it undertook a massive expansion program--- involving three (it was once four) new dams and two new major powerlines (one in the United States)---whi

Crips and Bloodz true cultural anchors of Winnipeg's aboriginal gangs

(Bebo tribute page to Aaron Nabess on the right, his handgun-toting friend on the left) At least six murder victims in Winnipeg in the past year are linked to a network of thuglife, gangster rap-styled, mainly aboriginal street gangs calling themselves Crips and Bloods after the major black gangs of L.A. The Black Rod has been monitoring these gangs for several months ever since discovering memorial tributes to victim Josh Prince on numerous pages on Bebo.com, a social networking website like Myspace and Facebook. Josh Prince , a student of Kildonan East Collegiate, was stabbed to death the night of May 26 allegedly while breaking up a fight. His family said at the time he had once been associated with an unidentified gang, but had since broken away. But the devotion to Prince on sites like Watt Street Bloodz and Kingk Notorious Bloodz (King-K-BLOODZ4Life) shows that at the time of his death he was still accepted as one of their own. Our searches of Bebo have turned up another f

Nahanni Fontaine, the NDP's Christian-bashing, cop-smearing, other star candidate

As the vultures of the press circle over the wounded Liberal Party of Manitoba, one NDP star candidate must be laughing up her sleeve at how her extremist past has escaped the scrutiny of reporters and pundits. Parachuted into a safe NDP seat in Winnipeg's North End, she nonetheless feared a bruising campaign against a well-heeled Liberal opponent.  Ha ha.  Instead, the sleepy newspeeps have turned a blind eye to her years of vitriolic attacks on Christianity, white people, and police. * She's spent years  bashing Christianity  as the root cause of all the problems of native people in Canada. * She's called for  a boycott of white businesses . * And with her  Marxist research partner, she's  smeared city police as intransigent racists . Step up Nahanni Fontaine, running for election in St. John's riding as successor to the retiring Gord Macintosh. While her male counterpart in the NDP's galaxy of stars, Wab Kinew, has responded to the controversy over

Exposing the CBC/WFP double-team smear of a hero cop

Published since 2006 on territory ceded, released, surrendered and yielded up in 1871 to Her Majesty the Queen and successors forever. Exposing the CBC/FP double-team smear of a hero cop Some of the shoddiest journalism in recent times appeared this long August weekend when the CBC and Winnipeg Free Press doubled teamed on a blatant smear of a veteran city police officer. In the latest example of narrative journalism these media outlets spun stories with total disregard for facts that contradicted the central message of the reports which, simplified, is: police are bad and the system is covering up. Let's start with the story on the taxpayer funded CBC by Sarah Petz that can be summed up in the lead. "A February incident where an off-duty Winnipeg officer allegedly knocked a suspect unconscious wasn't reported to the province's police watchdog, and one criminologist says it shows how flawed oversight of law enforcement can be." There you have it. A policeman, not

Winnipeg needs a new police chief - ASAP

When did the magic die? A week ago the Winnipeg police department delivered the bad news---crime in the city is out of control. The picture painted by the numbers (for 2018) was appalling. Robberies up ten percent in  a single year.  (And that was the good news.) Property crimes were up almost 20 percent.  Total crime was 33 percent higher than the five year average. The measure of violent crime in Winnipeg had soared to a rating of 161.  Only four years earlier it stood at 116. That's a 38 percent deterioration in safety. How did it happen? How, when in 2015 the police and Winnipeg's police board announced they had discovered the magic solution to crime? "Smart Policing" they called it.    A team of crime analysts would pore through data to spot crime hot-spots and as soon as they identified a trend (car thefts, muggings, liquor store robberies) they could call in police resources to descend on the problem and nip it. The police