Skip to main content

What you didn't hear at the Craig McDougall inquest

Craig McDougall was not a nice guy.  He was a violent drunk with a penchant for attacking and hurting women.
But the three police officers who confronted him at his father's home in the early morning of Aug. 2, 2008 didn't know that.  

In the space of 90 seconds or less their interaction escalated to the point where the 26-year-old McDougall was shot three times at point blank range by one of the policemen. He died of his wounds less than an hour later.

Our laws protect the worst in society and upstanding citizens equally. A mandatory inquest is to be called whenever someone dies either at the hands of police or while in police custody. 

An inquest is not a public inquiry, but it is supposed to determine how and why a person died, if there should be any recommendations to prevent the circumstances that led to that death, and, in this case, whether there was any indication that systemic racism on the part of Winnipeg police played any part in the death, given that McDougall was aboriginal.

Ironically given the speed that police shot and killed McDougall, the inquest into his death was mysteriously delayed for eight years.  Yes, EIGHT YEARS.

That alone raises suspicions.  An inescapable question is whether a public airing of what happened that morning was deliberately stalled. And that question leads to "why?" Was it because authorities were hiding something? And if so, what?
Was it...

* the fact that police officers in Winnipeg were provided for a year before the shooting of Craig McDougall, and up to six years afterward, with malfunctioning tasers and the police department knew it?

* that McDougall wasn't the first aboriginal man to be shot "in the line of duty" by the same police officer?  The first died some years later and his family blames his death on complications from the shooting.

* that sources say the policeman who killed McDougall once had his gun taken away until he was cleared by a psychiatrist following allegations made against him by an angry estranged girlfriend. What his wife thought is unknown.

* that the officer who shot McDougall and the officer who shot a taser at him first were witnesses in the prosecution of a policeman charged with kicking an aboriginal man, while the man was in a jail cell, so hard that he suffered a tear to his bowel. One was the partner of the accused and the other was a supervisor who said the arrested man made no complaint to him. The officer was acquitted. That case took SIX YEARS to come to trial.

The eight year delay in getting the Craig McDougall inquest started was so egregious that on the last day the presiding judge felt compelled to apologize to McDougall's father. Yet there was little effort to determine why the process took such an inordinately long time.

The homicide detective in charge of the internal police investigation of the killing of Craig McDougall alone took two whole years to complete his report.  The inquest was told it was because he had to work on other homicides in between.

What nobody pointed out was that Craig McDougall's death WAS a homicide and should have had the same priority as any other police investigation.  What that means is that the detective pre-judged the matter, clearing the police in his mind without fully investigating the circumstances. 

Sergeant Robert Scott Bell, now retired, conceded that the police involved in the shooting got kid-glove treatment while McDougall's family was treated like criminals.  McDougall's father, uncle and a friend were roughed up, hauled to the police station, kept handcuffed for 40 minutes, questioned, videotaped and not told that McDougall was dead for hours.  

The police were advised they had "a right to provide a statement", then turned over to union reps, police and their family as soon as possible.   

"All three provided unsworn written statements three days after the shooting and were never questioned about their statements, Bell testified."   (Winnipeg Free Press)

Bell concluded, naturally, that the police had to shoot Craig McDougall because he refused to drop the knife he was holding as he approached them.

He compounded his breezy approach to the killing of McDougall when he mockingly testified  that the members of McDougall's family were free to leave the police station whenever they wanted since they were witnesses and not under arrest.  

What Bell forgot was that McDougall was shot in 2008 b.c.---before cellphones.  In the past year we've watched time and again the murders of black men in the United States by police officers caught on cellphone video.  

The video evidence often contradicted the official reports which insisted the police had no choice but to shoot and kill men who were (not) armed, we saw police planting weapons near the bodies of men they shot, we saw men shot in the back, men shot walking away and not toward police, men shot as their family members pleaded with police not to shoot. 

These videos have changed the onus of police shootings. 

The public now wants firm proof of what happened, not the carefully orchestrated and lawyered statements of the shooting police officers.  Associate Chief Judge Anne Krahn should have known that.  Instead, she didn't even require that the Crown produce Bell's report as evidence.
As a result, we, the public, don't really know what happened that morning on Simcoe Street. 

But a careful reconstruction of the 90 seconds before McDougall was shot indicates a possible scenario that was never discussed, or even contemplated, by the lawyers at the inquest who haven't the slightest concept of what life in the Inner City is like.

Police were sent to 788 Simcoe St. on a call of someone having been stabbed. The first to arrive was a patrol sergeant who testified he went up to the house with his gun out already.  He knocked and a small child answered the door (at 5:09 a.m.) He barely had time to say "Hi" when another person came up behind the little boy. That second he heard a female officer yelling "Male's got a knife, drop the knife."

Just after the sergeant arrived, a cruiser car with two patrol officers---one male, one female--- pulled up.  While the sergeant was at the door, the female officer shone her flashlight around the side of the house to the back and  there she saw Craig McDougall in the alley.  He must have been attracted by the light because he walked from the lane to Simcoe Street.

All three police officers were in the yard and he was separated from them by a fence, indicating he cut through his neighbour's yard not his father's yard. As he rounded the corner of his father's house, the female officer saw he had a knife in his right hand. A reporter described it as  the blade pressed up against his wrist, the tip towards his elbow.
"Knife! Knife! He has a knife!" the policewoman said she yelled.

McDougall was on his cellphone talking with his girlfriend during the whole encounter. She heard male and female voices demanding that McDougall drop a knife, providing proof that he did indeed have the weapon in his hands.  Of course, yelling at someone at the top of your lungs is the best way to communicate, as everyone knows. 

The sergeant ordered the male officer to get his taser out. As McDougall began to enter the yard, he was shot with the taser, which didn't embed itself cleanly and had no effect.  

The inquest was told by one officer that one Taser probe stuck in McDougall's stomach and the other went over his shoulder. Another witness said that the second probe stuck in McDougall's pant leg. Go figure.

Evidence markers were placed on the street outside the yard, suggesting that's where the Taser was used. Evidence was that McDougall was tasered when he was 14 feet away from the police (about the distance to the gate) and shot at 9 feet.

When McDougall entered the yard, he carried the knife at shoulder level, the officer who shot him said.

"I fired my service pistol," he testified. "There was no other option. I was in fear for my life, the other officers lives, the small child and anyone else in the residence."

The question here is did McDougall know the people on his father's doorstep were police?

Where were the police cars parked? In front of the house where they were unmistakeable or off to the side? Were they marked cars? How were the police officers dressed? It was a hot night; McDougall was outside without a shirt. Were the police dressed all in black? What was the lighting like. Does a street light illuminate the front yard? Or was the yard in shadow?

Just because someone yells they're a cop doesn't mean they're a cop. Anyone in the inner city will tell you that. 

Did Craig McDougall see three people dressed in black on his dad's doorstep in the middle of the night and fear they were gang members or thieves?  Did he raise his knife to defend himself from the supposed threat? Remember, it appears he didn't raise the knife until after he was hit by the taser. Was he acting in self-defence?

The answers may lie in the police report of the shooting--- but that's a closely guarded secret. 

The inquest was told that police practice has changed since McDougall was shot.  Nowadays, police are supposed to work hard to "de-escalate" a situation before killing someone.  

We eagerly await the results of an investigation by the Independent Investigation Unit of the newly created Police Commission into the police shooting of Mark Dicesare in November, 2015. Surrounded by 25 police cars following a chase through city streets,  he was blasted by five police officers when he got out of his vehicle.  

The Black Rod has learned that a police dispatcher had informed the chasing police that Dicesare had repeatedly said by cell phone that he was not threatening police and had no intention of harming any of them. 

We wonder how Winnipeg police define the word "de-escalate."

Popular posts from this blog

The unreported bombshell conspiracy evidence in the Trudeau/SNC-Lavelin scandal

Wow. No, double-wow. A game-changing bombshell lies buried in the supplementary evidence provided to the House of Commons Judiciary Committee by former Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould. It has gone virtually unreported since she submitted the material almost a week ago. As far as we can find, only one journalist-- Andrew Coyne, columnist for the National Post--- has even mentioned it and even then he badly missed what it meant, burying it in paragraph 10 of a 14 paragraph story. The gist of the greatest political scandal in modern Canadian history is well-known by now. It's bigger than Adscam, the revelation 15 years ago that prominent members of the Liberal Party of Canada and the party itself funneled tens of millions of dollars in kickbacks into their own pockets from federal spending in Quebec sponsoring ads promoting Canadian unity. That was just venal politicians and a crooked political party helping themselves to public money. The Trudeau-Snc-Lavalin scandal is

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. There, we said it.

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. Oh, you won't find anyone official to say it. Yet . Like relatives trying to appear cheery and optimistic around a loved one that's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, the people in power are in the first stage of grief -- denial. The prognosis for Hydro was delivered three weeks ago at hearings before the Public Utilities Board where the utility was seeking punishingly higher rates for customers in Manitoba. It took us this long to read through the hundred-plus pages of transcript, to decipher the coded language of the witnesses, to interpret what they were getting at, and, finally, to understand the terrible conclusion.  We couldn't believe it, just as, we're sure, you can't--- so we did it all again, to get a second opinion, so to speak.  Hydro conceded to the PUB that it undertook a massive expansion program--- involving three (it was once four) new dams and two new major powerlines (one in the United States)---whi

Crips and Bloodz true cultural anchors of Winnipeg's aboriginal gangs

(Bebo tribute page to Aaron Nabess on the right, his handgun-toting friend on the left) At least six murder victims in Winnipeg in the past year are linked to a network of thuglife, gangster rap-styled, mainly aboriginal street gangs calling themselves Crips and Bloods after the major black gangs of L.A. The Black Rod has been monitoring these gangs for several months ever since discovering memorial tributes to victim Josh Prince on numerous pages on, a social networking website like Myspace and Facebook. Josh Prince , a student of Kildonan East Collegiate, was stabbed to death the night of May 26 allegedly while breaking up a fight. His family said at the time he had once been associated with an unidentified gang, but had since broken away. But the devotion to Prince on sites like Watt Street Bloodz and Kingk Notorious Bloodz (King-K-BLOODZ4Life) shows that at the time of his death he was still accepted as one of their own. Our searches of Bebo have turned up another five ga

Nahanni Fontaine, the NDP's Christian-bashing, cop-smearing, other star candidate

As the vultures of the press circle over the wounded Liberal Party of Manitoba, one NDP star candidate must be laughing up her sleeve at how her extremist past has escaped the scrutiny of reporters and pundits. Parachuted into a safe NDP seat in Winnipeg's North End, she nonetheless feared a bruising campaign against a well-heeled Liberal opponent.  Ha ha.  Instead, the sleepy newspeeps have turned a blind eye to her years of vitriolic attacks on Christianity, white people, and police. * She's spent years  bashing Christianity  as the root cause of all the problems of native people in Canada. * She's called for  a boycott of white businesses . * And with her  Marxist research partner, she's  smeared city police as intransigent racists . Step up Nahanni Fontaine, running for election in St. John's riding as successor to the retiring Gord Macintosh. While her male counterpart in the NDP's galaxy of stars, Wab Kinew, has responded to the controversy over

Exposing the CBC/WFP double-team smear of a hero cop

Published since 2006 on territory ceded, released, surrendered and yielded up in 1871 to Her Majesty the Queen and successors forever. Exposing the CBC/FP double-team smear of a hero cop Some of the shoddiest journalism in recent times appeared this long August weekend when the CBC and Winnipeg Free Press doubled teamed on a blatant smear of a veteran city police officer. In the latest example of narrative journalism these media outlets spun stories with total disregard for facts that contradicted the central message of the reports which, simplified, is: police are bad and the system is covering up. Let's start with the story on the taxpayer funded CBC by Sarah Petz that can be summed up in the lead. "A February incident where an off-duty Winnipeg officer allegedly knocked a suspect unconscious wasn't reported to the province's police watchdog, and one criminologist says it shows how flawed oversight of law enforcement can be." There you have it. A policeman, not

Winnipeg needs a new police chief - ASAP

When did the magic die? A week ago the Winnipeg police department delivered the bad news---crime in the city is out of control. The picture painted by the numbers (for 2018) was appalling. Robberies up ten percent in  a single year.  (And that was the good news.) Property crimes were up almost 20 percent.  Total crime was 33 percent higher than the five year average. The measure of violent crime in Winnipeg had soared to a rating of 161.  Only four years earlier it stood at 116. That's a 38 percent deterioration in safety. How did it happen? How, when in 2015 the police and Winnipeg's police board announced they had discovered the magic solution to crime? "Smart Policing" they called it.    A team of crime analysts would pore through data to spot crime hot-spots and as soon as they identified a trend (car thefts, muggings, liquor store robberies) they could call in police resources to descend on the problem and nip it. The police