Skip to main content

How did reporters miss the Dumas news bombshell?

If a news bombshell goes off at an inquest and no one reports it, is it still explosive news?

The coverage of the Matthew Dumas inquest has been spotty and confusing. Carol Sanders is doing the most thorough job so far for the Winnipeg Free Press, but even she was either absent or unaware of the importance of what came out Monday.

The inquest heard from Ken Warren, who was robbed in his Martin Avenue East home in an incident that sparked the eventual shooting of Dumas by police, and from the Spring Taxi driver who inadvertently drove the gang of thieves to the Martin Ave. home and back to the North End.

Cab passengers should know by now that their picture is taken every time they enter a taxi. As you would expect, the police recovered the photos of the group that robbed Warren. And guess who's face showed up, according to the unreported testimony at the inquest.

None other than the man of the hour's, Matthew Dumas himself.

It was headline news that never made it.

Immediately after Dumas was shot, the blame-the-cops crowd was in full hue and cry that Dumas was killed in a case of mistaken identity. They insisted he had nothing to do with the robbery. He was a poor, innocent, aboriginal kid who ran from the police because all poor, innocent, aboriginal kids fear the police. Dumas became the poster boy for all the native organizations that exist to blame the police of racism. And, it appears, they were wrong, wrong, wrong and he was guilty, guilty, guilty.

We did some digging, starting with square one, the robbery on Martin Ave.

It turns out a group of four travelled by cab from Dufferin Avenue to Martin. A girl stayed in the taxi and the other three went to Warren's house. One of them, an eight-year-old boy, the inquest was told, rang the doorbell. When Warren answered, a man and a teenager popped up from around the corner of the house and confronted Warren. The man demanded to speak to someone named Ashley, and when told he had the wrong house, he snatched a chain from Warren's neck.

"Shoot him", he told the teen.

A terrified Warren slammed his door shut and phoned 911. The robbers walked back to the taxi which took them back to Dufferin Avenue.

Within minutes the police were following the trail, from E.K., over the Redwood Bridge, down Main Street, to Dufferin. The investigation of the Dumas shooting took precedence, but eventually they got the pictures of the taxi passengers and saw their prime suspects for the Warren robbery.

Other than Dumas, who was no stranger to the Youth Centre, they saw a very familiar face belonging to one Derek Bone.

It took a couple of weeks before they caught up with Bone and after a few months in the hoosegow on remand, he pleaded out---to theft. The Crown stayed the robbery charge. He was sentenced to one day in jail. He was given a lifetime suspension from owning a gun.

One year later, police announced a raft of serious charges against a man named Derek Bone. Same man? This Bone also like to hang out with teenaged boys, and also on Dufferin Avenue.

Police charged this Bone and a 17-year-old companion with a near-fatal stabbing of a sixteen-year-old boy on Lorne Avenue. And a machete attack on a 23-year-old man in the 500 block of Dufferin.

This Derek Bone, 33 years of age, was charged with Aggravated Assault, Assault Cause Bodily Harm, Assault with a Weapon, three counts of Possession of a Firearm While Prohibited X 3, and three counts of Failure to Comply with Condition of Recognizance. A search of his home turned up:
- .22 calibre semi automatic handgun (loaded)
- Two 9mm semi automatic handguns (loaded)
- Ammunition
- Machete
- 40 rocks of crack cocaine
- 12 grams of marihuana
- Two sawed off rifles

If the two Derek Bones are one and the same, then Dumas was associating with a very, very dangerous individual when he went to Martin Avenue. Suddenly the order "Shoot him" doesn't seem like an empty threat.

The MSM, particularly the CBC, has been pushing the meme that police should be blamed for failing to handcuff Dumas when they caught up with him minutes before he was shot. A heretofore unknown witness to the shooting said Tuesday he agreed with that idea. Except that his own evidence proved how impossible it was.

William Sinclair said he saw a policeman catch up to Dumas on Dufferin Avenue. The officer put Dumas' left arm behind his back in a restraining hold and started to lead him off. As he radioed for assistance Dumas sucker punched him, knocking the radio from his hand.

Question: How many arms did the police officer have?

One arm restraining Dumas, one holding a radio. Which arm was he supposed to use to slap on the cuffs.

What about the first time Dumas was caught? You mean the time he fought with two police officers in the backlane? It's pretty hard to secure the handcuffs when you're dodging punches.

And have we mentioned the knife dropped in the lane?

Oh well, let's not spoil the surprise for the reporters.

Popular posts from this blog

The unreported bombshell conspiracy evidence in the Trudeau/SNC-Lavelin scandal

Wow. No, double-wow. A game-changing bombshell lies buried in the supplementary evidence provided to the House of Commons Judiciary Committee by former Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould. It has gone virtually unreported since she submitted the material almost a week ago. As far as we can find, only one journalist-- Andrew Coyne, columnist for the National Post--- has even mentioned it and even then he badly missed what it meant, burying it in paragraph 10 of a 14 paragraph story. The gist of the greatest political scandal in modern Canadian history is well-known by now. It's bigger than Adscam, the revelation 15 years ago that prominent members of the Liberal Party of Canada and the party itself funneled tens of millions of dollars in kickbacks into their own pockets from federal spending in Quebec sponsoring ads promoting Canadian unity. That was just venal politicians and a crooked political party helping themselves to public money. The Trudeau-Snc-Lavalin scandal is

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. There, we said it.

Manitoba Hydro is on its deathbed. Oh, you won't find anyone official to say it. Yet . Like relatives trying to appear cheery and optimistic around a loved one that's been diagnosed with terminal cancer, the people in power are in the first stage of grief -- denial. The prognosis for Hydro was delivered three weeks ago at hearings before the Public Utilities Board where the utility was seeking punishingly higher rates for customers in Manitoba. It took us this long to read through the hundred-plus pages of transcript, to decipher the coded language of the witnesses, to interpret what they were getting at, and, finally, to understand the terrible conclusion.  We couldn't believe it, just as, we're sure, you can't--- so we did it all again, to get a second opinion, so to speak.  Hydro conceded to the PUB that it undertook a massive expansion program--- involving three (it was once four) new dams and two new major powerlines (one in the United States)---whi

Crips and Bloodz true cultural anchors of Winnipeg's aboriginal gangs

(Bebo tribute page to Aaron Nabess on the right, his handgun-toting friend on the left) At least six murder victims in Winnipeg in the past year are linked to a network of thuglife, gangster rap-styled, mainly aboriginal street gangs calling themselves Crips and Bloods after the major black gangs of L.A. The Black Rod has been monitoring these gangs for several months ever since discovering memorial tributes to victim Josh Prince on numerous pages on Bebo.com, a social networking website like Myspace and Facebook. Josh Prince , a student of Kildonan East Collegiate, was stabbed to death the night of May 26 allegedly while breaking up a fight. His family said at the time he had once been associated with an unidentified gang, but had since broken away. But the devotion to Prince on sites like Watt Street Bloodz and Kingk Notorious Bloodz (King-K-BLOODZ4Life) shows that at the time of his death he was still accepted as one of their own. Our searches of Bebo have turned up another f

Nahanni Fontaine, the NDP's Christian-bashing, cop-smearing, other star candidate

As the vultures of the press circle over the wounded Liberal Party of Manitoba, one NDP star candidate must be laughing up her sleeve at how her extremist past has escaped the scrutiny of reporters and pundits. Parachuted into a safe NDP seat in Winnipeg's North End, she nonetheless feared a bruising campaign against a well-heeled Liberal opponent.  Ha ha.  Instead, the sleepy newspeeps have turned a blind eye to her years of vitriolic attacks on Christianity, white people, and police. * She's spent years  bashing Christianity  as the root cause of all the problems of native people in Canada. * She's called for  a boycott of white businesses . * And with her  Marxist research partner, she's  smeared city police as intransigent racists . Step up Nahanni Fontaine, running for election in St. John's riding as successor to the retiring Gord Macintosh. While her male counterpart in the NDP's galaxy of stars, Wab Kinew, has responded to the controversy over

Exposing the CBC/WFP double-team smear of a hero cop

Published since 2006 on territory ceded, released, surrendered and yielded up in 1871 to Her Majesty the Queen and successors forever. Exposing the CBC/FP double-team smear of a hero cop Some of the shoddiest journalism in recent times appeared this long August weekend when the CBC and Winnipeg Free Press doubled teamed on a blatant smear of a veteran city police officer. In the latest example of narrative journalism these media outlets spun stories with total disregard for facts that contradicted the central message of the reports which, simplified, is: police are bad and the system is covering up. Let's start with the story on the taxpayer funded CBC by Sarah Petz that can be summed up in the lead. "A February incident where an off-duty Winnipeg officer allegedly knocked a suspect unconscious wasn't reported to the province's police watchdog, and one criminologist says it shows how flawed oversight of law enforcement can be." There you have it. A policeman, not

Winnipeg needs a new police chief - ASAP

When did the magic die? A week ago the Winnipeg police department delivered the bad news---crime in the city is out of control. The picture painted by the numbers (for 2018) was appalling. Robberies up ten percent in  a single year.  (And that was the good news.) Property crimes were up almost 20 percent.  Total crime was 33 percent higher than the five year average. The measure of violent crime in Winnipeg had soared to a rating of 161.  Only four years earlier it stood at 116. That's a 38 percent deterioration in safety. How did it happen? How, when in 2015 the police and Winnipeg's police board announced they had discovered the magic solution to crime? "Smart Policing" they called it.    A team of crime analysts would pore through data to spot crime hot-spots and as soon as they identified a trend (car thefts, muggings, liquor store robberies) they could call in police resources to descend on the problem and nip it. The police